Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Webspinna - Sources



Hit the jump for the artist's statement.

Artist's Statement


There are two main schools of flower arrangement, as far as I know - the first is called the English Garden style - it is often set low, and contains a huge amount of small flowers and complimentary plants, arranged in a circular pattern. It is abundant and rich, and purely ornamental. Then, there is the Ikebana style, which is Japanese in origin and focuses upon line and form and simplicity. It often features only a few plants and is quite sparse, thus tightening the focus from the bouquet as a whole to the flowers in and of themselves. For this assignment, I used the design philosophy of the latter, and tried to bring attention to the sounds themselves and their relation to one another.

I chose these sounds because of the cohesive atmosphere they create - they hold to a consistent emotional tone, but are distinct and of themselves. You can appreciate them individually or in relation to one another, and either way works. I had a lot of fun picking them out and playing them together, and trying to remember when to sync the tracks. I also managed to do a rudimentary crossfade using Youtube's volume controls. I was nervous performing in front of a crowd, but the performance went better than I expected - the Mangum conversation and Storm synced perfectly. I am satisfied with this assignment and felt it was enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment